Walnut Creek Linear Trail
Walnut Creek Linear Park is home to the Walnut Creek Linear Trail, one of Mansfield's most popular amenities that features wide concrete paths perfect for the leisurely stroll, running or biking. The current phase is 1.9 miles long and connects five parks and three neighborhoods, from Town Park to James McKnight Park East along Walnut Creek.
Amenities along the trail include bird watching stations, scenic overlooks and picnic stations. The historic railroad bridge, “Jeffryes Crossing,” was named after Steve Jeffryes who served on the Mansfield Park Facilities Development Corporation Board from 1994 to 2004.
|Lighted Trails||5 a.m. - 11 p.m.|
|Unlighted Trails||5 a.m. to 30 min. past sundown|
If you have an urgent maintenance need, please contact Parks On Call at 817-473-1943 to have service crews paged to your location. For emergencies, security and medical issues, please call 911.
Phase 1: Town Park to McKnight East
- Completed in January 2007, includes the existing 1.9 miles of concrete trail and soft surface trails that stretch from Town Park to James McKnight Park East.
Phase 2: Matlock Rd. to Joe Pool Lake Area
- CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS: Phase 2B (highlighted in yellow in the map above), a 1.2 mile segment which extends the trail from the back of Oliver Nature Park through Phillip Thompson Soccer Complex to a turnaround at the SH360 access road. This section, like the rest of the linear trail, will include 12-ft wide concrete trails ideal for running and biking. Construction began in Spring 2019 and is expected to be completed by December 2019.
- Phase 2A will add 12-ft wide concrete trails from Matlock Rd. through and/or around Oliver Nature Park to connect with the 2B segment, which begins at the back of ONP. Until 2A is completed, visitors will travel on the ONP crushed granite trail to reach the 2B extension.
- Phase 2C will take the trail from the turnaround at the end of 2B under the SH360 bridge and end at the Joe Pool Lake recreation area.
Phase 3: Hwy. 287 to Matlock Rd.
- Will connect two parks, one school, five neighborhoods, FieldhouseUSA, StarCenter Mansfield and the Shops at Broad development to the trail system.
- Phase 3A will extend the trail from James McKnight Park East, winding through the Shops at Broad and ending at the intersection of Cannon and Carlin Roads. Phase 3A is currently in the planning phase, working with the developers at Shops at Broad to coordinate construction schedule and design element.
- Phase 3B will complete the connection from Cannon and Carlin Roads to the entrance of Oliver Nature Park, joining the Phase 2 segment. Phase 3B will complete the trail as one continuous path from Town Park to the Joe Pool Lake recreation area.
Phase 4: Main St. to Western Mansfield City Limits
- Will extend the trail from Town Park under the Main Street bridge, continuing behind Historic Downtown Mansfield and reaching the Western city limits along Walnut Creek.
- Approximately 2 miles of trails of concrete trails
- Phase 4 of the trail include connection to the Mansfield Dog Park, currently under construction at 604 W. Broad St.