Back in the 1880s, Dan Zuefeldt, formerly of Canada, decided he wanted to build a general merchandise store and cotton gin on property he owned in the area now known as Webb. He had plats drawn up and sold as lots as a financial venture. No one really knows why the town received the name Webb, but it is guessed that a a local resident must have been the namesake.
Zuefeldt owned the first mercantile store. Tom and Martin Rhodes opened another. The first cotton gin was owned by Charlie Duke. It burned and Mr. Zuefeldt rebuilt it. It also burned. The Midlothian Cotton Seed Oil Company built the next gin and it was later sold to Farmer's Co-op. This gin also burned and was rebuilt by the Southland Cotton Seed Oil Company.
The first school in Webb was the Loyd School, named after one of the early families in Webb. It was located in South Webb, about one mile south of Webb proper. South Webb faded away in the early 1900s when the Baptist Church and Webb School located in Webb proper. The one-room school was a typical structure for the period. The next school built was a three-room wooden school built near the cotton gin in Webb. After that, a two-story brick school was built, it was condemned in 1927. The last school was built and classes continued until 1965 when the Mansfield Independent School District approved a consolidation of the district.