Winter Storm Recovery Resources

The winter weather storm and emergency of February 2021 left many Mansfield residents in need of support and recovery efforts, even as the power returned, water leaks were repaired and temperatures warmed. This page will offer comprehensive information to help homeowners navigate the recover process.


The Water Utilities Department, with support from the City Council, is providing relief to MansfieldLeaky Pipe water customers whose bills reflect higher than normal usage due to pipe damage or measures to prevent pipe damage. The Leak Forgiveness Program has provided support to water customers for years. The program is now being used to assist customers as part of the Winter storm recovery efforts. Customers must complete the Leak Forgiveness form and submit it to the water utilities department. Staff from the department will contact applicants to review their bills. Please be patient as staff works through the requests. Water Utilities will also provide refunds for any city fees incurred when plumbers repaired water leak damage. 

Two cycles of the City's four cycles of water bills have already been issued. If you have received your bill and have questions, call utility billing at 817-276-4230.


Do You Need Help? Do You Want to Help?
Mansfield Tx Responds websiteThe last week has been difficult and challenging for many in the Mansfield community. We understand the difficulties you are facing, and the entire city is here to help. There are needs to be met, and there are people who want to help their neighbors. So a citywide partnership is organizing to provide assistance for Mansfield residents and coordinate with those who want to help.
A new website, will serve as the vehicle for both of those efforts: requesting assistance and responding to calls for volunteers and donations. The site will serve as a place for residents needing assistance to provide specific information about their situation and their needs. Anyone wishing to volunteer will find those opportunities on the website. And if you are able to donate to these efforts, you will be able to do so online.


Due to the recent winter weather event, the City of Mansfield Building Safety Department made adjustments to internal processes to assist you in obtaining building permits for damage caused by the storm as quickly as possible. A building permit is required and provides a City inspection to ensure your repair work is performed correctly and compliant with the codes. To prioritize your permit application for expeditious review, applicants are asked to identify on the permit application storm-related repairs in the description field as “Severe Weather-Related Repair”. 

If you have a question and/or unsure contact us at or 817-276-4220

FAQ – Building Permits After Storm damage

Q)     Does a contractor need to be licensed to do work?
Any Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, or Irrigation contractor, doing work within City limits, is required by City Ordinance and State laws to have a license to do the work.  Texas does not require a license for general building work. 

Q)     Can City recommend a contractor? 

The City cannot endorse or recommend plumbers or other contractors; however, we can share our database of registered Contractors. See the snapshot below and three steps to help guide you.

building permit graphic

Q)     Is a permit required for emergency work? 

Yes, a building permit is required for structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work. If unsure contact us at or 817-276-4200.   

Q)     Can a contractor do emergency work as a result of water damage or other storm-related damage?  

Yes, emergency work can be completed. The contractor should obtain a permit from the city the next business day and request an inspection.   The city will inspect the work once requested by the permit holder.

Q)     My electrical service was damaged during the storm. How do I get power back on?

Have a licensed electrician secure a permit, complete the repairs, request an inspection from the city, and call the electric service provider for a re-connection.

Q)     Can a homeowner repair their plumbing system?  

Yes, but the homeowner still needs to obtain a permit from the city and is subject to inspections. The homeowner will need to contact the city to schedule the inspection. 

Q)     Can a permit be obtained online via the website?

Yes, all permits are requested online visit the Permits & registration   

Q)     Why do I need a permit from the city?

Permits are to ensure the safety of the work and its compliance with building codes.  It is also a way to ensure that the contractor that is doing work at your home or business is registered to do work in the city and holds the necessary licenses to perform the work. Once work is completed, the contractor (permit holder) is responsible to contact the city and schedule an inspection.  Once an inspection is scheduled, a city building inspector will visit your home/business or conduct a virtual inspection to ensure that the work conducted meets all code requirements. This is an important safeguard for property owners, especially in the aftermath of an emergency.

Q)     If I have a question on the permitting process, who should I call or contact?

You can call the Building Safety Department at 817-276-4220 (M-F / 8:00 am to 5:00 pm). Also, you can ask a question by emailing  

Tips to Avoid Fraud 

·       Get more than one bid. That will help you decide which offers are too high or too good to be true.

·       Check references and phone numbers. Check the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to see if a contractor has complaints.

·       Don't pay the entire amount up front and don’t make your final payment until the job is finished. 

·       Never sign a contract with blank spaces.

·       Make sure the Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, or Irrigation contractor doing work is licensed. 

·       Report possible price gouging to the Office of the Attorney General.

CHUNK YOUR JUNK MARCH 27Chunk Your Junk 2021

If water damage at your home has left you with a big mess to clean up, and you can wait a few weeks to get rid of all of it, the City will be holding its annual Chunk Your Junk and Shred Day event on Saturday, March 27, at the Chris W. Burkett Service Center, 620 S. Wisteria St. The event will be from 8 a.m. to noon. 

To assist any residents who need to dispose of a refrigerator after the winter storm, A-1 Appliance will be on hand to provide disposal for residents. Refrigerators cannot be left at the curb unless all the refrigerant has been removed. A-1 will take the appliance and safely dispose of it for you.

The event is free for Mansfield residents. No contractors or businesses. If you have questions, email or call 817-728-3655.


With prolonged exposure to water, there is always the chance that mold will take hold and become an issue for homeowners. The Centers for Disease Control offers these tips for cleaning up mold in your home following a water emergency.

mold clean up tips


Disaster declaration opens FEMA assistance process for residents

With the Presidential disaster declaration issued for 77 counties in Texas, residents and businesses that sustained losses can now begin the process to apply for individual assistance. Assistance may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

There is a four-step process to begin application for assistance and registration is available online: 

  1. Take a photo of your damaged home and belongings
  2. Make a list of damaged or lost items
  3. If you have insurance, you must file a claim with your insurance company. If you do not have insurance, skip to step 4.
  4. Apply for assistance at or call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-4627585. You can also download the FEMA app.

Additional information is available at

FEMA disaster assistance graphic

SBA federal disaster loans now available to businesses

The Small Business Administration has announced low-interest federal disaster loans are now available to Texas businesses and residents as a result of President Biden’s major disaster declaration. The declaration covers 77 Texas counties as a result of the severe winter storms that began on Feb. 11, 2021.  All three Mansfield counties - Tarrant, Johnson and Ellis - are included.SBA disaster loan newsflash

“SBA is strongly committed to providing Texas with the most effective and customer-focused response possible and with access to federal disaster loans to help businesses and residents affected by this disaster,” said SBA Acting Administrator Tami Perriello. “Getting our businesses and communities up and running after a disaster is our highest priority at SBA.”

In consideration of the public health concerns due to the Coronavirus pandemic, SBA will establish a Virtual Business Recovery Center  Feb. 23 to provide personalized assistance to business owners.  In addition, SBA will also open a Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center to help homeowners and renters.  Customer Service Representatives will be available to business owners and individuals to answer questions about SBA’s disaster loan program, explain the application process and help each person complete their electronic loan application.

Virtual Business Recovery Center and Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center

 Open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST Monday – Friday

(800) 659-2955

Businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. SBA can also lend additional funds to businesses and homeowners to help with the cost of improvements to protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future.

For small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations of any size, SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic injury assistance is available to businesses regardless of any property damage.

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property. 

Interest rates can be as low as 3 percent for businesses, 2 percent for private nonprofit organizations and 1.25 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, applicants must first go to Federal Emergency Management Agency at to apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information or download applications at Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call (800) 877-8339. Completed applications should be mailed to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX  76155.