Have you ever wondered what can recycled and what should go into the trash? Check out the "Can I Recycle It?" search tool above to find out if an item is recyclable or not, and other ways to dispose of your materials. Many household items that can't be recycled curbside can be dropped off at the Environmental Collection Center for specialized recycling.
You can also view upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Events and Chunk Your Junk & Shred Days, and sign up for reminders the calendar tab above, or by signing up for environmental services calendar notifications through "Notify Me".
What Can Go in the Recycle Cart
The City of Mansfield encourages every resident to recycle, and the cost for recycling services is included in the basic refuse fee on your monthly water bill. Diverting materials from the landfill helps protect the life of the landfill, which enhances the ability of the city to contain future costs for solid waste collection services. For more information view the Know What to Throw explainer video from NCTCOG and Recycling Simplified from Republic Services.
Please put items in your cart Empty, Clean, Dry, and Loose - not bagged.
Request or Exchange a Cart
Residents can use this form to request or exchange a recycling cart. If you have requested an exchange, you may still use the old cart until your exchange has been completed. Requests will be completed within a few days of the submission.
The City of Mansfield provides residents with curbside recycling carts. View the curbside recycle pick-up schedule here.
Follow these simple steps to using your recycling cart:
- Use your green recycling cart for recyclable materials only.
- Remember "empty, clean & dry". Rinse and drain bottles and jars.
- Place the cart on the curb on your regular recycling collection day. IMPORTANT: The lid opening needs to face the street.
- Carts do not have to be completely full to be set out, but we do recommend setting them out as full as possible.
- Remember to set your carts at the street by 7a.m. on your collection day to be sure it is picked up.
- Make sure to set the carts where they will be accessible from the street (not behind a mailbox, car or other obstruction).
Cart Care Suggestions:
- Paint or label your address on your cart
- The cart will remain with the delivery address-do not move carts to new address or place your name on the cart.
- Keep cart free of food or liquid that would contaminate recyclables.
- Periodically, you may need to wash the inside of the cart with water and dish soap and let air dry.
Have you ever wondered what happens to the stuff you put into your curbside recycling cart? After Republic picks up the material in your cart, it travels to a Ft. Worth materials recycling facility (MRF for short) where the recycling magic begins. Watch this video to see how the process works.
For the MRF to operate efficiently, it's critical for residents to remember these things when recycling:
- Never bag recyclables, place loose in your cart.
- Empty, clean and dry. Give bottles a quick rinse and shake dry. No need to wash with soap and water, a quick rinse will do.
- No plastic bags, these tangle machinery at the MRF. Plastic bags may be accepted at local grocery and big box stores.
- Flatten your cardboard. It takes up less room in your cart and in the trucks picking up materials too.
- Not all plastics can be recycled. If you can poke your finger through it, it can't be recycled.
- Size matters. Anything smaller than a credit card can jam machinery. Don't place in the recycle cart.
Many household items that can't be recycled curbside can be dropped off at the Environmental Collection Center (ECC) for specialized recycling. Watch this video to see how many of these materials have been recycled through the ECC and special collection events.