Frequently Asked Questions

The City does not perform regular maintenance on most drainage easements within the City. A drainage easement is a document providing the City the right to place public water on private property. Property within a drainage easement belongs to the property owner, and not the City. Further, the property owner is responsible for removing trash, keeping vegetation mowed, and similar maintenance activities. The City only becomes involved when there is a major blockage, or infrastructure failure.

All City streets are designed to carry a certain amount of water during storms, even beyond the curb in most cases. Water entering a house is a concern to the City, and should be reported as soon as it happens so the City can investigate the problem and look for solutions. It could be as simple as boards, or other material have blocked up the pipe or inlet. But it can also be very involved and complicated, taking time to correct.

The City does not clean up creek areas on a regular basis. The big cleanup events held by the City are typically on public land and involve large groups of volunteers. The best solution for this problem is for everyone to put their trash in the proper place, a trash can.

It is not always raccoons and snakes, any water feature is going to attract wildlife. The City does not perform regular maintenance along most water ways. These areas are typically designed to be overgrown, and as long as the condition does not pose a threat of flooding to a home or structure, the City will not remove the vegetation.

Any odor nuisances should be called in. There is not always something that can be done about it, but the City needs to make sure the sanitary sewer system has not been leaking into the storm sewer system. The most common odor problems at storm sewer outfalls are decomposing leaves and other organic matter, and this poses no threat to human health.

The Environmental Services Department works with other departments in the City to address these concerns. Depending on the situation, a City crew may be able to come out and regrade the area that it drains again, but a drainage easement must exist for the City to enter the property for this reason.

This is not always a concern, but should be reported so that City staff can evaluate the situation and prevent problems from occurring.

There is no simple answer for this question. The City's ability to improve the situation is entirely dependent on the location and cause of the flooding.  Several homes in the City were built before the FEMA enacted the floodplain restrictions, and these homes will flood given a large enough storm.  However, some problems can be addressed by repairing the storm sewer system.  If your home has flooded, please report this information to the City.