Frequently Asked Questions

Applications may be obtained from the Planning Department Counter or from our website.

Approximately 90 days to complete the zoning process.

The specific use permit (SUP) and the Gas Well Permit can be processed concurrently.  However, a gas well permit cannot be issued until the SUP is approved.

An application can be obtained from the Planning page on the City website. We recommend that the applicant schedule a meeting with staff prior to actually submitting the application and requested materials.

The Texas Railroad Commission (RRC) and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) department set the depths to protect our natural fresh water zones on interest in Texas. By law, the surface casing of a well must extend 20’ beyond the depth of a fresh water zone as determined by the RRC.  The surface casing is cemented back to the surface to protect these fresh water bearing zones.

Gas wells in production do not create much noise. A gas well may occasionally need the use of a lift compressor to maintain production, but City regulations require that any noise from the compressor above the legal limit must be mitigated.

Gas that is produced from the Barnett Shale is odorless.

The lights you see are needed for the 24 hour operation. They are turned in towards the drill site and away from adjacent properties. This operation normally last only about 30 days.

The City works with the gas well operators to determine a truck route that will have the least impact on traffic as part of the SUP. The gas well operator must use only the streets designated on the approved truck route, and must pay a road damage remediation fee.